ISO 14001 standardizes a process to effectively control and continuously improve your organization’s environmental performance. This highly trusted management tool enables efficient identification and control of the environmental impact of your business activities, services, and products, as well as ensuring a systematized ability to benchmark and achieve environmental objectives.
Many companies in certain industries are starting to pay more attention to the environmental impact of their own processes, as well as those of their suppliers or customers. Some are even starting to include the requirement for ISO 14001 registration into their contract requirements. There are many benefits provided by certification to the environmental standard. Below are some of the most important.
- Improves company reputation, the perception of employees, suppliers, customers and other stakeholders that they are dealing with a caring organization
- Demonstrates compliance with current and future statutory and regulatory requirements
- Increases leadership involvement and involves key personnel in the process of defining the actions required to reduce your environmental impact and manage your environmental risks
- Improves the confidence of stakeholders through strategic communication
- Increases tendering and government contracts opportunities
- Provides a competitive and financial advantage through improved efficiencies and reduced costs
- Provides continual improvement
- Helps in achieving strategic business aims by incorporating environmental issues into business management
- Manages and improves environmental risks
- Reduces incidents and near misses
The business environment continues to change, so a business needs to constantly improve and change. It is necessary to monitor the important indicators for your business, and to make the appropriate factual decisions and actions. Achieving ISO 14001 certification will encourage better environmental performance of suppliers, by integrating them into the organization’s business systems.There’s no doubt that many businesses choose to become ISO 14001 certified, but many more are in fact forced to achieve certification in order to access new work or retain existing business.
Improved internal processes, more efficient systems, reducing costs and waste are all additional benefits of achieving ISO 14001. Gaining certification is also an important factor for owners, employees and customers.