The health and safety of your staff is one of the most important parts of running your business. It is your responsibility to keep workers safe in the workplace. Workers have a right to go home fit and well after being at work. That is why workplace health and safety laws are in place to make organisations take work health and safety a priority.
It is vital that both employees and their managers understand the importance of health and safety in the workplace. Organisations must have processes and procedures in place to manage risks and work-related injuries and incidents. Yet in 2019, workers made 238,100 claims to the Accident Compensation Corporation.
Simple things you can implement
There are simple things you can implement to keep your staff safe. These include:
- Keeping the workplace clean.
- Using labels and signs.
- Training employees in workplace safety.
- Rewarding employees for safe behaviour.
- Having an open door policy that allows employees to voice their concerns.
But there is more you can do to commit to the health and safety of the people who work for you. Implement ISO 45001 Occupational Health and Safety Management System (OHSMS) and embed it into your organisation’s culture.
What is ISO 45001?
ISO 45001 is an international standard that sets out requirements for an OHSMS in your organisation. It provides guidance on how to improve health and safety for workers. Implementing ISO 45001 helps you to manage risks and be proactive in improving your OH&S performance.
ISO 45001 benefits
The design of this standard allows you to adapt it to any size business and industry to enhance your performance, productivity and help business growth. The benefits of ISO 45001 certification include the following:
- Demonstrates your commitment to workplace health and safety.
- Improves your ability to identify hazards and assess risks.
- Reduces the costs of workplace incidents and insurance premiums.
- Increases productivity by reducing downtime.
- Encourages management involvement and worker participation.
- Helps to build your brand’s integrity and consumer trust.
- Fulfills legal and regulatory obligations.
- Validates your organisation takes health and safety seriously which helps to form more partnerships that grow your bottom line.
- Demonstrates your compliance with an international standard.
- Eliminates or minimises risks and hazards.
- Address OH&S nonconformities connected with the organisation’s activities.
- Helps achieve continual improvement.
The standard does not dictate how to design your OHSMS. You can use the guidelines and tailor the to the needs of your business and industry. It also does not address product safety or environmental impacts beyond the risk to workers and others visiting the workplace.
Certification means committing to regular audits to ensure the OHSMs is working as intended. While these assist in discovering any noncompliant areas, it also helps you improve any inadequacies with your processes and procedures.
Overall, with fewer incidents and injuries, certification boosts productivity.
Contact us for more information about obtaining ISO 45001 certification. We are ISO specialists and can show you how to grow your business so it reaches its potential.